Monday, March 9, 2009

Photography project with children




Monday was the beginning of our first project with the children at the Mucec centre (10 y/o and older).

My pre-trip planning involved organizing a project to do with the children and women. As a passionate amateur photographer, I had the idea of doing something related to photography. When I was planning this project in Calgary, I had little idea what it was like in Colon and/or at the Mucec Women centre. Upon our arrival, we started to discuss the project with several people and I realized I had overlooked some aspects of the environment here. After consultation, we decided the project would be spread out over 3 days, as the children do not have school this week: school hasn't started yet (this is not a reading week).
I was seriously amazed at how people were ready to jump in and help us carry out this "foto proyecto". It allows the children to participate in a different activity and give them a chance to learn about Canada. The goal is to have them take pictures of their environment and share something with people in Canada. I had packed some pictures from Canada to show them how much cold in can be in our beautiful country and tell them about skiing, skating, playing hockey etc: things they definitely do not do here, especially with temperatures around the mid thirties like we've seen today!
So far, although we faced some challenges, it has been a great project and we all have learned a lot, especially myself! Wednesday and Thursday we should complete the project and we shall keep you updated!
Kelly, Marlynne and I make a good "team Canada" as we each have our own expertise and different input to bring in this project, and this whole trip.
(The photos are of the 2 groups we met on Monday: one in the morning and one in the afternoon)
Martine

No comments:

Post a Comment