Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Being in solidarity ...

Hello out there!
I'm not gone AMA or hiding under a rock. In fact, things are rockin here in Colon, as usual! Glad Marlynne and Martine have been so good at keeping up this wonderful blog! We've just come out of the radio station. My Uncle (Fr Alan) has a radio show every week, here in Colon. He and his Pastoral team's dedication and professionalism always impress me. Natty DeCruz, is a very dedicated parishoner who has taken over many responsabilities in Fr Al's absence. Doing the radio show is one of her many talents, and she always invites us as her guest speakers. Tonight's theme was solidarity...candy!!!! How much easier can it get when I've just left an environment where everywhere I looked and every conversation I had with people, they were trying to find out how we were progressing in our plans for our trip, and wanted to know how they could donate in some way?

In my first entry I spoke of St Edmund Church's wonderful support, but I would also like to thank my friends and colleagues at work, at the Lakeshore Hospital, who truly went out of their way to lend a helping hand and give to the people we would be seeing on our trip. I received so much from you. I thank you and the people thank you! It had crossed my mind many a time, how you showed solidarity with people whom you didn't even know. That always floors me and in itself, gives me hope that there is a lot of goodness in the world. Thank you all for that, my friends.

On Sunday, Marlynne and Martine and I went to the jail. It was great for me to be back, and to have Marlynne come again, this time seeing things for a second time, and to have new blood join us...Martine! The men were so receptive, and as always, very respectful and warm. We had gone to do the reading of the day, and to analyse it through some questions that we had been given. It was good to see their familiar warm faces, and other new ones. It was inspiring to speak with the prisoners, and to dialogue with them. It is always known that we are Fr Al's family, which makes us doubly well received. I can safely say it was a good experience. We are hoping to have our medical blitz this Saturday. I say "hoping" because you can never take anything for granted here in Panama!!

For those of you who may not know, Fr Al is in Philadelphia, recovering from illness, and was hoping to come with us on this trip. Unfortunately he fell and broke his leg just 5 weeks before our departure...it was difficult for all of us to swallow, but we know everything happens for a reason. Since we have arrived, his name comes up on a regular basis, and people ask about him all the time. The prisoners are very close to him as he has always been faithful to them and has always helped them in whatever way he could. He was even the driving force behind important changes in the law which were unjust in the penal system. It is not a great wonder, therefore, that they have built a classroom named after him in the jail. He truly is an amazing man and it is heart-warming to hear that they have not forgotten him, and that they hope and pray for his prompt return. Also nice was seeing the prisoners in solidarity with each other by visiting one another and encouraging one another through their pastoral work, in spite of their less-than-desireable reality. Many spoke of their desire to do so due to Fr Al's influence. I'm thankful that solidarity is so contagious!

Hasta la proxima!
Kelly

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kell, sounds like everything is going awesome down in Panama! I'm so glad that it's going well fo yu and all those that you are now helping! I love you and God bless you and everyone!

    Love Cody Danaher

    ReplyDelete